Across The Sea quilt finished



Hello everyone,

you know what I just realized? I'm not much of a QAL person. I usually start with a lot of enthusiasm, go through a billion options for what fabric to use, cut and sew as directed and then, somewhere along the way I decide to go my own route. The good thing is that I finish the project, it's just different from the one in QAL. My Farmer's Wife quilt is a perfect example.

And now I have my Across the Sea quilt as another proof. The QAL is still going on, but I changed the course and finished mine sooner.

Finished size of this quilt is 45 x 57 inches. I used higher loft batting and tied the quilt instead of my usual quilting. The reason was that I wanted this quilt to be nice, soft, puffy, almost like a comforter. I used black perler thread to tie the quilt.

I decided to go with this gorgeous soft flannel for the back of the quilt. I love the pattern and, to top it off, they had it on sale at JoAnn's for $2.99 a yard. Awesome!!!

And yes, as you can see, the sock monkey fabric crept its way into this quilt, also. But it's not staying at my house, so that's just fine. My children really don't need a quilt to match their messenger bags as well as their lunch boxes.

I'm donating this quilt to our local homeless shelter as part of 100 Quilts for Kids. I really hope it will bring a smile to a child and keep him or her nice and warm during our freezing winter - the reason for higher loft batting and flannel back.

What have you been up to? Any sewing preparations for upcoming winter? I've been doing a lot of "winterizing" at home, I'll post about that soon.

Svetlana